Saturday, June 18, 2005

What is it with people and queues?

(I feel somehow like Dr. John Dorian saying that...)

Well, it's more like 'What is it with Malaysians and queues? I just attended an Indian wedding ceremony, and it's buffet style dinner. And whenever guests have to witness an hour long ceremony while their stomachs growl, the desire to get to the food first is greater. And that's when queues fail.

I remember about 7 years back when my father and I went to the PC Fair in PWTC arriving in the wee hours of the morning. (Well, before the Fair gates open anyway.) There was a queue to enter. Why was there a queue? I don't really know. But there was one. It stretched from the doorway, all the way back to the escalators, and, I think, down the not functioning escalators. Looking back, I think it will be quite noble to do that, queuing up. Shows a little 'respect' or 'face' to those who really came first.

Then, when the gates finally open at 10am...

All hell break loose. Those at the back rushed forward and people queuing behind me were rushing past me to the door first.

What's the point in queuing?!!

Back to the wedding... the queue started. And I was standing behind a guy to queue up for the food. A couple in front of him were standing side by side and I guess he family started queueing behind her. If you picture it nicely, you will notice that now, there were 2 lines merging into one, where the couple were standing. I looked at my brother and at the line that was forming NOT behind us. I nudged him to suggest queuing up behind the longer line. We did. But the same thing happened. Another line was branching out again. Crap.

Luckily though, the other line didn't last and more people queued up behind us. Anyway, we got to the food finally and refills were constantly bring brought out.

Everybody was going to get the food sooner or later. I guess the hunger drives people to be not thoughtful. I just hate it when people are impatient. I hate it when people drive up so close behind my car, edging me to drive faster. Though I hate it, I let them off. I don't mind waiting. They won't learn anything even if I do say something.

I hope people will learn someday...
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online