Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Epic Egyptian Experience

14 January 2011

I am not too sure why I suggested Egypt when my parents asked me to suggest an alternative holiday destination. We were planning a trip to New Zealand, but the flights were all fully booked. I really wanted to visit New Zealand: Middle Earth, land of sheep, and southern most landmass before Antarctica.

Perhaps the image of Egypt was stuck on my mind. I remember Dr Woods showing off his photos just 3 months ago. Or could it be the image of Devastator climbing the pyramids in Revenge of the Fallen. Or could it be the adventures of Jack in Matthew Reily’s books I have just read last month. Or is it the references of Egyptian culture and art in the Uldum zone in Cataclysm.

Whatever it was, it is becoming a reality.

After booking the tickets, the preparation started. It was also the end of my internship, which is another emotional rollercoaster for me, which I shall not dwell upon this time. It was a 2-week period of tightening things up at work, cleaning up my house, getting my life organised and packing up. I was also part of the Valete Dinner, which is another story to tell.

Before I knew it, I was already on my way to the Adelaide Airport. It was very strange to find out that the driver was the same driver who picked me up from the airport after my Canberra trip. I was surprised he remembered me and even remembered what I wore at that time. Unfortunately, I have no recollection of him, but I recalled what I wore; my blue UWA jumper. Small world.

I arrived at the airport, checked in, had breakfast, boarded the plane, occupied 2 seats, stretched out thinking that this flight is like the most expensive movie theatre with good service. I browsed through the inflight entertainment catalogue and found movies that I wanted to watch surprisingly. I managed to catch 2 and 2 halves of a movie. Megamind was hilarious, Christmas Carol was scary, and both of them would have been nice in 3D. Megamind was straightforward, nothing much to say about it. Christmas Carol’s dialogue was hard to understand but I caught the gist of it. But it was not as exciting as the story is well known.

The other two movies were Eat, Pray Love and Life As We Know It. Julia Robert’s film was dry and I eventually dozed off, mostly because I was dread tired after the 2 weeks of sleep deprivation. I didn’t know what direction the movie was headed and it wasn’t comedic, so I decided not to continue watching the movie. Life As We Know It was better, AND THE BABY WAS SO CUTE!!! Sadly, I could not watch the ending as by that time, I was fast approaching Singapore.

Received a few messages on my phone, one of them regarding me leaving my car in the parking lot. To think that I have been parking in the streets all this time, subjected to vandals before, in the harsh weather, and they had to make a complaint that I parked inside the compound. Such is life.

I wasn’t going to let that tie me down and headed to my sister’s place. It was a MRT ride of memories, thinking of my time in Singapore. I can’t believe it has been 10 years now since I have left the country. This was where I first learnt my independence, where I started growing a conscience and character and personality. This was where I became the person I am now. It was a long tiring ride from Changi to Clementi.

Then, the moment I have been waiting for, for a year, I finally get to play with my niece. She is as cute as I remembered her, grown bigger and has more personality, defiant little princess, loud piercing lallation. She proudly parades around with her 3 favourite toys, her bolster, doggie and platypus. She had stranger anxiety at first, so she was wary of me. It took her a few hours to warm up, but by that time, we were already heading off to the airport for our next league.
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online