Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Choices...

That was the theme for the CF camp. Not that I'm going to be talking about it though. I don't think I'll talk about it at all. But I am, though, going to be making noise about choices...

Everyday we are faced with making decisions. Whether it's to wake up in the morning or continue sleeping, or to kill someone or not. We are plagued with choices. Cliche...

Enough then...

Choices. What are the consequences of our choices? We can't really tell that whatever choice we make is a good one. I feel strongly that once a choice has been made and the actions are carried out, we can never turn back and change it. Many people have been talking about time traveling and things like that. And that you want to change your path at that particular crossroad that you think will change your life completely... But in actual fact, you don't know what that path will bring you to. Who knows that choice is worse than what it is now. Christians believe that their choice is made in trust to God, and whatever decision they come to it is in God's will. In that sense, whatever the outcome, God willed it. Sounds safe.

Buddhism however, believes in Karma. Everything happens for a reason, or because of a reason. Being a Buddhist, I think this is easier to grasp. My mother always tells me, things can be a blessing in disguise. There are many stories that come out from this quote. She left her handbag in a phone booth one time... And of course it was stolen. At that time, of course anybody would panic and stuff, but after some time, she realized that it could be a blessing. Well, for instance, she could have been robbed or whatever done to her if the bag was with her. It was night and she was alone in a foreign place. Of course we can't tell what the outcome would be if did remember to take her bag, but my point is, it could mean a good thing that she did. Everything happens for a reason. Call it God's will, call it Fate, call it Prophecy, call it co-incidence.

That's why I don't pray. I don't ask for things. I believe that we are responsible for our own lives. Whatever we do, whatever the decision, it will firstly and finally affect us. And in between, it will affect those around me. This is Karma, for me. Karma, of course is not just good things, but bad things. So, my motto? Do good. without any intentions attached.

I summarized all the religions into one, picking out the similarities and that motto is what I came up with. I was told that I was arrogant to think so. It came as a shock. I didn't feel that it was considered arrogant, but I guess but thinking I'm better than all the other religions and coming up with my own conclusion... And that is how I choose to live my life.

Another thing about choices is the freedom that comes with it. Lately there has been some disagreements with the IMU dress code. Some say it's too strict. If you really listen to some, they are logical, and to other, just purely absurd. It is a choice, but somehow if their wants are not in the choices that are provided, they'll complain. Come on, it's wear formal clothes, in different colour and style. That is the choice, not whether to wear jeans or pyjamas. Stick to the rule, for goodness sake!

Another complaint was made by our batch rep, regarding the timetable. She felt that the courses are overlapping. By overlapping I guess she meant that the lectures for Renal are before the End of course assesment for Repro. Maybe the CSU sessions too. Logically, yes, I guess it's a basis for complaint, BUT

In my opinion, the time table do suck, and the only difference is that I want the exams to be directly after the last lecture, maybe give a day more. And the lectures for the next course be after that paper. WHICH was what the admin did to our first system, the Endocrine system. But due to complaints (again!!!) The shifted it to the end of the week. And by doing so, the Repro lectures were before the test.

Other than that, I dont see a need to complain about the timetable. And, with the test brought foward, less people will skip the Malaysian Studies classes and we wouldn't be in trouble in the first place. Oh, and guess what, it's the same person again!!!

The choices are there, we just have to look forward slightly and think of what our decision will entail. I dont want less time to study for the finals. Time table stays.
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online