Sunday, May 29, 2005

I sometimes freak myself out.

I just watched a barrage of movies, including a attempted Star Wars Marathon. Well, I gave up after watching Episode I and II back to back. Anyway, I stumbled upon a Jim Carrey movie called Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.



I liked it because it's... well... hard to understand. Meaning it's some warped mind-boggling story about life and hard to understand. It's about a couple who after going through a rough relationship, Clementine (Kate Winslet) went to get her memory of Joel (Jim Carrey) erased.

The scientific basis of this 'treatment' is that certain parts of the brain will have some activity in it when certain memory is triggered. So by relating all the spots with all the memory of the person/object/animal, a mind map, so to speak, is formed. Then the memory can be erased. Worried about brain damage? It IS brain damage.

When Joel found out, he too went through the process and the movie is almost all 'in his head'. How nice is it to erase something painful and embarassing from your mind? What if it is about someone that you love so much, but is just so hurting? I said I freak myself out. The reason is that I just wanted to blog about not forgetting seomthing or someone, hence the flower... And this is before I knew the existance of this movie nor had the inlking of watching it.

There's something about Jim Carrey's show that scares me. I heard things about The Cable Guy, that it is a story about a crazy person. Once the name Jim Carrey is mentioned, one would think laugh, funny, comedy... Like The Mask, Ace Ventura. But with movies like The Cable Guy, The Truman Show, there is a certain haunting feeling about his 'serious' movies. It's about satire, about life. Another great comedian is Robin Williams. He has his funnies, but there are serious stuff going on in his movies. Mrs Doubtfire, Patch Adams, Dead Poet's Society, Death to Smootchy. Serious stuff... about satire and about life again.

A salute to two great entertainers; Jim Carrey and Robin Williams.

I end off with a snipet of the poem by Alexander Pope (no, not the late Pope Alexander...) entitled "Eloisa to Abelard"

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;
Labour and rest, that equal periods keep;
"Obedient slumbers that can wake and weep;"
Desires compos'd, affections ever ev'n,
Tears that delight, and sighs that waft to Heav'n.
Grace shines around her with serenest beams,
And whisp'ring angels prompt her golden dreams.
For her th' unfading rose of Eden blooms,
And wings of seraphs shed divine perfumes,
For her the Spouse prepares the bridal ring,
For her white virgins hymeneals sing,
To sounds of heav'nly harps she dies away,
And melts in visions of eternal day.
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online