Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Adventures in Albany - Day 08

I started out with surgery/anaesthetics this morning, a reminder that I have to re-learn everything that I have read up before for anaesthetics. I guess I need some tough love, but I am sure that I am benefiting from all that. I wondered how I learnt things previously, how I was able to grasp most concepts really easily, getting through exams easily with top marks. I can remember things like from games and movies, but when it comes to factual medical knowledge, I don’t know why I am not able to remember them. I am almost graduating, and yet I am still not up to par. I can see my friends becoming better and better, but I don’t feel like that at all.

The same thing happened to me again during my GP session with Dr. Liz. It was all last year’s stuff, things that I strived to know for the exams. Now that the exams are over, I do not know why all that knowledge is slipping away, especially when I would need it all for the rest of my life. I am getting confused with how I should be approaching the medical problems and how to manage them. Every day, I feel like my knowledge resetted itself and I have to go through all that all over again the next day.

I guess now that I have cut back on WoW, I should get started on all that knowledge building again, and GP would help me get started. But here I am, again with this problem. I do not know where to start and how to get started. I guess I shall start on reading up on what I read up yesterday and a bit of what I learnt today.

Today also, they printed the news about the late Dr Camille Michener in the West Australian. I can’t believe that someone so young, talented, friendly and nice have to go like that. I don’t know her at all, but I managed to help her in surgery, and she helped me get my internet access at the hospital. It was her last day in Albany and was heading back to Perth to continue her training when she was involved in a car accident on Friday night. I can only think about how I was on the same highway that same night. I am really thankful that Aleisha was a careful driver and that nothing happened to us at all. Life is strange and it works in such incomprehensible ways. Is there karma going on? Why would God take such life away?

Carpe diem, et momento mori. Seize the day, for we are mortal.

What is mortality? Why are we mortal? Is there death, so that we can experience life? Isn’t that what she was doing – bringing in life into this world and to delay death?

I am brought back again to what I am doing here. Although I am deprived of internet, I managed to get access to facebook and blogger. I am still pretty much addicted to it knowing how much my life has been ruined. I spent almost an hour on it, just forcing myself to be on the net, despite no longer having anything to see. I guess that is addiction for you.
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online